Hello and Happy Monday,
I hope you all had a wonderful, warm, loving weekend. This was the first valentine's day that I didn't feel pressure to do anything special. If you know me, you know what Joe and I have is pretty special, there are no pretenses, we support each other's growth, we have some of the best conversations, and we love each other just as we are. You would think based on that I wouldn't feel pressure to do something special for a made-up holiday, I love Joe every day and express love every day, not just on February 14. But societal pressure is real and weighs heavy on me, can I live up to the perfectness of this "LOVEDAY". Glad I was beyond that this year and instead we treated like any other Friday night that we don't have the kids, we ate a home-cooked meal, relaxed and talked for hours. I made a silly card and he got me some stones, it was simple and lovely.
Last week I hosted my first Full Moon Mantra, Movement and Meditation class. It was wonderful! 11 women showed up and were open and receptive to sharing their dreams for the full moon cycle. We chanted with the harmonium, we moved a little and then we picked cards based off of our intentions on what to manifest for the month. It was magical. I felt high from that class all week. I can't wait for the next one on March 9. While the class is free, I ask that you sign up, it's based on space and planning on my part. If you can make the next one, sign up here: FULLMOON
I'd like to leave with you with a kindness story from an anonymous source (one of you!!)
..."Your email today really touched a nerve and reminded me that amidst so many people who are mean, litigious and downright rude, there are some exceptional acts of kindness that have touched or changed our lives and they deserve to be remembered - maybe even more so when you find yourself surrounded by people of the other sort.
A few years ago I had gotten back from a trip abroad and my leg was swollen - for 4 weeks I went to the doctor and each week he told me that he thought it was one thing - and by the end of the week that would prove not to be true and then he would tell me it was something else. Each week it didn't get better, it was painful to try to walk on. Finally, on the 4th week, I also had trouble breathing. I couldn't go very far before I was completely winded, just walking. I initially blamed this on myself - I had allowed myself to get so out of shape, I had gained so much weight... But within a day when I was getting winded just sitting still and talking to someone, I knew that something was really wrong. I called my doctor's office the next morning and they told me they were totally full - had no room to see me that day - I stubbornly insisted that I had to be seen and so they gave me the last slot of the day at 3:45 pm. A friend drove me. After a few minutes, the doctor told me that he didn't think that it was it, but maybe it was a blood clot, and I should go to Virginia Hospital to have a cat scan. My kind friend drove me. When I got to the hospital, after filling out all the paperwork and waiting a half hour they told me I had a phone call - but no one knew I was there - I took the call and they told me that I was out of network at the hospital (this being the hospital my doctor had told me to go to mind you)- that it would be $8,000 for the cat scan. I didn't have $8,000 for a cat scan and so asked what I should do. They told me that I should go to an in-network hospital such as Inova Fairfax or Inova Alexandria - Again my friend drove me. When we finally got there, me with my "stett" order in hand - they told me that they had no spaces and I should have had an appointment and I would just have to wait and they weren't sure they could fit me in. It was already 6:30 pm. Another man sitting in the waiting area for a procedure overhead the entire conversation. He could see that I was upset - and by now scared. When they called his name to go back for his procedure he looked at me and at the nurse and said: "Honey, I know that I am dying anyway - I want you to take my space - go ahead of me." And insisted to the hospital that they see me instead of him in his slot. He probably helped to save my life - I had a saddle pulmonary embolism - Only after my 4 days in ICU and a procedure did they tell me that I had had a 90% chance of dying and only a 10% chance of living. That random act of kindness by one man who didn't know me at all and who gave me his spot helped to save my life. I always have felt bad that I never got to thank him.
Your email today made me remember this (and a few other random acts of kindness that I have been the beneficiary of) and to ask myself what random acts of kindness have I done lately? So today I decided to do one myself - and I feel better for having done it - It was only a small thing - but your email helped in the nicest way to help me remember that there are truly kind and generous people out there when more recently I have not felt that people were kind.
Thank you for reading today. How can you be kinder today?
With Love & Kindness,